Tuesday, June 9, 2015

Call for some 'Sustained Shared Thinking' and a complete review of the Early Years & Childcare Sector (2) - Did I always want to work in childcare?

Background to becoming an Ofsted Registered Childminder

Did I always want to work in childcare?

Absolutely not.  I was a 'career' person and as far as I was concerned being a childminder was not a career choice.

When my own children were born I wouldn't even entertain the thought of a childminder looking after them as, without even doing any research at all, I wrote it off as an absolute no.  My perception at the time was of some grandma like 'woman' down the road that I didn't know and that I couldn't possibly trust with my children.

My preference then (2005-2009) was for a private nursery, again I did no research at all in to this it was just a notion that a nursery would, without doubt be a better choice and have more status too.  I couldn't wait to say "My children go to a nursery".

As it transpired, putting my children in to nursery was just not financially viable and instead we opted to pay my mum to cover some of the childcare, my husband worked nights and cared for my young son for half the day and I applied and was eventually successful in changing my 40 hour a week work pattern under my right to request flexible working.

As I read this back I am completely astounded by my ignorance back then.  A well-educated graduate career woman, with the best of intentions, but with a complete lack of knowledge and understanding about child development and the childcare options that were out there.

It is only really by working in the sector that I have gained knowledge and understanding which has brought into question my past thoughts, feelings and actions about the provision of Early Years and Childcare.

Has much changed in the past 10 years?

Well I'm pleased to say that I genuinely think it has a little bit but not enough by far.  I certainly think that more parents are considering childminders as an equitable alternative to a nursery.  Many parents probably have to consider childminders because they require the flexibility and/or lower fees that a childminder may offer and a few may even understand that a home-based setting, especially for the birth to 3 age range, is actually a wonderful home from home environment in which very young children can thrive.

Since actually becoming a childminder and eventually an Early Years Teacher in a home-based setting I have worked hard to promote childminding as a career and had hoped to share what I thought was a great business model to encourage more to join me in what is a very rewarding career.  It does involve taking on one of the most important responsibilities that you could have, nurturing, supporting and developing our next generation.

Sadly my business model has been stopped in it's prime by outdated planning law......I will eventually get round to this in another post!

There is still so much more work to do to inform parents about their options and allow them to make informed decisions instead of being pushed into decisions because of finances, political agenda and/or media as well as raising the profile of the profession which is 'Home-based Early Years and Childcare Provision'.

No comments:

Post a Comment