Saturday, July 13, 2013

Early Years Teaching Training, onwards with the journey....

So it's round two in defending the Early Years Initial Teacher Training that I am starting in September!  I already feel a little bit of an outcast if I'm absolutely honest because it is clear that many Early Years Professionals have grave concerns about the Teachers' Standards (Early Years).

The government's response to the consultation on said standards has been published....

https://www.education.gov.uk/childrenandyoungpeople/earlylearningandchildcare/h00201345/graduate-leaders/early-years-teacher/teachers-standards-early-years

I am not saying that I don't share the concerns that have been raised, but it was clear in my mind from the point of application that I would stay true to my values and practice, reflecting and improving along the way of course, but not completely disregarding everything I already know just because the Department for Education says so.

The most concern was, quite rightly, over the fact that play-based learning is not explicitly a requirement of the standards.  I had said, even before the government's response, that despite this I couldn't see how any Early Years Teacher could possibly have an excellent knowledge of child development theory and practice without knowing that play is fundamental.

"We have not amended the standards to specifically include play. The standards are designed to allow for a range of pedagogical approaches, thus giving these highly qualified professionals the freedom and flexibility to deploy a range of methods and to decide how best to structure children’s activities throughout the day. We know that play is essential for children’s development, and is an integral part of how children learn to explore, think about problems and relate to others. As specified in the standards Early Years Teachers are required to understand and deliver the Early Years Foundation Stage (EYFS)"

I actually think their response is fair and feel quite empowered to make sensible, well thought out decisions based on my own knowledge and what I learn along the way.  Let's not forget, after all, that this programme is 'training'.  It is unfair to think that anyone who starts on the programme is an expert in their field already.  Although I must surely have  demonstrated a certain level of knowledge and understanding in order to get through the application process.

I have learnt so much already and the programme hasn't even started yet.  Just networking with other professionals, being challenged by them, researching ideas and questioning my own practice has meant that I have improved as a practitioner and the children that I look after have ultimately benefited.  The alternative of course, could have been that I just plod along in my setting doing what I've always done, doing just what I need to meet the minimum standards and let's face it, we must all know some who does exactly this.  That is not me, I would never be happy if that was the attitude I took and I don't think that any of the children that I look after deserve that kind of attitude.  I want to be the best that I can be for myself and for them and EYT is one of the ways I am hoping to be.

There may be concerns that the standards aren't robust enough but I do hope that others will get on board and support those of us who have taken the plunge.

No comments:

Post a Comment