Monday, April 29, 2013

Unemployed parents to be trained as childminders

Some childminders might be a bit put out after reading an article in Children and Young People Now last week that unemployed parents are to be trained as childminders by PACEY (Professional Association for Childcare and Early Years).
http://www.cypnow.co.uk/cyp/news/1076840/unemployed-parents-childminders

I personally don't see a problem with this if a person that is currently unemployed wants to become a childminder - why not?  I would wholeheartedly recommend it as a profession.
PACEY is simply offering a training package and who are we to say who takes it up, if they're entitled to it?  The PACEY training is great, I should know I'm on one of their e-learning courses at the moment and am thoroughly enjoying it. 

So will every unemployed person be able to be a childminder - err no I don't think so.  If a person meets the criteria to be a childminder, is willing to undergo and pass the relevant training and development, is inspected by Ofsted, passes CRB checks, passes health checks and is willing to work for a wage possibly less than benefits then who I am to comment? I think many people would be quite surprised by what being an Early Years and Childcare Professional in a home-based setting actually entails, whatever background you come from.  So good luck to all new entrants to the industry and if I can help I will.

No comments:

Post a Comment